Corpus Christi, the feast of the Body and Blood of our Lord!
It is such a great occasion to consider this fundamental truth the faith entrusted to us by Our Lord. St. Maxamillian Kolbe said, ” If Angels could be jealous of men, they would be so for one reason: Holy Communion.” These beautiful, pure spirits gaze upon the face of God. And yet they can not receive Jesus in the manner that we do. Sometimes I ask my guardian angel to worship God on my behalf and to pray as he deserves.
How can I more worthily receive the Eucharist?
1. Remote Preparation – Spend time in adoration. To come to church and pray in the presence of the sacrament is to invest my time where my faith is. It is an act of faith to be willing to go sit and gaze upon this Sacrament. When we bask in the light of the Son, we are warmed and transformed. Will I spend more time this summer sun-bathing or Son-basking?
2. Immediate Preparation – Do I arrive at Mass early enough to pray, settle, and recollect? Also re-read last week’s bulletin note on dressing in our ‘Sunday Best.’
3. Reception – when I receive on the tongue or in the hand, am I focussed only on Jesus? Am I giving him my best and most reverent attention? Banish all thoughts of watching others receive, or checking out the fashion choices of others.
4. Thanksgiving – after receiving and returning to my spot, whisper to Jesus who now dwells within me like tabernacle. And this is the tabernacle that He prefers, a loving heart.
5. Discipleship – live in the manner worthy of the sacrament. Be His disciples to the world, making Him known in your love for the poor, in your concern for youth, in your charity to all. Reject Sin, Satan, and all His works. Live the corporal and spiritual works of mercy.
Ok, that is quite a recipe, and one that is far from complete. I will leave you with a beautiful prayer from the Byzantine liturgy of the Mass. It is said this just before receiving Holy Communion. It is a lovely meditation on this great feast. Praying this prayer is bound to deepen your faith in this wonder-filled Sacrament.
O Lord, I believe and profess that You are truly Christ, the Son of the living God, Who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first. Accept me as a partaker of Your mystical supper, O Son of God; for I will not reveal Your mystery to Your enemies, nor will I give You a kiss as did Judas, but like the thief I confess to You: Remember me, O Lord when You shall come into Your kingdom. Remember me O Master, when You shall come into Your kingdom. Remember me O Holy One, when you shall come into Your kingdom. May the partaking of Your Holy Mysteries, O Lord, be not for my judgment or condemnation, but for the healing of soul and body. O Lord, I believe and profess that this, which I am about to receive, is truly Your most precious Body and Your life- giving Blood, which, I pray, make me worthy to receive for the remission of all my sins and for life everlasting. Amen. O God, be merciful to me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me. O Lord, forgive me, for I have sinned without number.
pax et bonum,