Dear Good People of Saint Mary,
We are at the beginning of a very active year when all of you will be invited to participate in
many activities. Everybody knows, nobody is worse than priests about returning RSVPs in a timely manner. Well, that is what I’ve always heard until lately! We’ve had a number of classes and receptions in which we’ve asked for RSVPs and ended up with twice as many people as responses received. Please help us know how to plan by responding in a timely manner so that we can provide the most effective hospitality for you, and all we serve.
One of the great new ideas we are introducing this year at Saint Mary is a system of coordinating
volunteers. I would like you to check in with the parish via email if you are interested in being considered as a volunteer for a particular need throughout the year. For example, if you have a particular gift of sewing, or carpentry, or addressing envelopes, or baking croissants, or cleaning or hauling — whatever it might be, I ask you to send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us 1) your name, 2) your best phone number, 3) your email (if different from the one from which you are sending) and 4) a list of your talents. See below for ideas.
Our office will compile a database of volunteers, and when a need arises we will send out a call in a timely manner to see who can respond and assist. Our Operations Committee, under the direction of Pam Biedenbender, will coordinate ministries and willing hearts to get jobs done. These jobs mostly will be one-time in nature, usually community-oriented and rewarding.They are not intended to replace commitments to particular ministries, which we will have the opportunity to sign up for in September.
The possibilities of this system are unlimited. Consider this system for community service
hours and youth participation in the parish, too. Thanks for all you do.
May God bless you,
Ideas for you on the Volunteer List:
* Do you have special office talents? stuffing envelopes, filing, typing, etc.
* Do you like to cook? Would you cook a mealfor someone? Can you give rides to people – to church, to the doctor, to the store?
* Are you good at entertaining? planning social events, coordinating food, hospitality?
* Do you like talking on the phone?
* Can you substitute for religious education?
* Do you have a green thumb?
* Would you like to be a small group leader?
* Do you find fulfilment in praying for others?
* How are you with physical labor? – setting up or taking down furniture for meetings, etc.
* Can you sew?
* Do you like to shop? help with food, flowers, items needed for special events
* Can you act as a translator, spoken or written word? What languages are you fluent in?
* Do you have talent as a tradesperson? building, plumbing, carpentry, electrical?
* Do you have a gift for design? decorating?
* Do you have IT talents? Website maintenance, calendar updates, electronics
* Do you like to visit people?
* Are you a good listener to someone who needs a friend?
* Would you be willing to be on call as needed for any type of general help? Anything else?
Send your name, best phone number, best email and list of talents to email@example.com.