All scheduled ministry activities have been canceled for this evening due to the impending snow expected to move into the area after dark. The parish office is CLOSED. Religious Education Classes have been canceled for Wednesday (2/12). Please check back for late opening, delays and cancellations for Thursday. Confessions will be available from 7-8:00 PM. No evening Adoration or Benediction.
Join us for our monthly Taize Prayer Service on Monday, February 10 at 8:15pm in the Church. All area Christians are invited to join us as we “prepare a place for unity and peace” in Fredericksburg.
Our next Concert Series Event event features Ephrem Brass Quintet performing a free concert with organist David Mathers. Friday, February 21 at 8pm.
Our Tuesday night (Feb. 11) Parent Gathering Series has been canceled due to unexpected circumstances. Please join us on April 1st for our next gathering.
SCRIP is on sale in the Parish Life Center after all Masses except Saturday 7pm and Sunday 2pm. Please use SCRIP, and a percentage of what you spend will be applied to our school.
Sunday Coffee Shop is open this weekend after the 7, 8:30 and 10am Masses.
Dear Good People of Saint Mary,
This weekend our Saint Mary pilgrimage group is leaving for the Holy Land. I’ve been typing up the booklet of Scripture that we will read at each place where we go — from the Mediterranean coast and Mount Carmel to Mount Tabor and the Sea of Galilee, from Cana and Nazareth’s Basilica of Annunciation, to Jericho, to Bethlehem and the Church of the Nativity. The first photo to the right above is all of us last year in the cave beneath the Church of the Nativity where Jesus Christ was born.
We get to spend a few days in Jerusalem, there is a lot to see. We will spend one day in museums, and go to the town where John the Baptist was born and where Mary traveled to the house of her cousin, Elizabeth, and the Basilica of the Visitation. The next day we go to the Mount of Olives alongside the Temple Mount of Jerusalem, where we will visit the garden of Gethsemane and the rock on which Jesus prayed the night before he was crucified. Nearby Mount Zion includes the upper room of the Last Supper, as well as the Basilica of the Assumption of Mary into heaven, and the church built on the site of Caiaphas’ house where Jesus was imprisoned after his arrest, while he was awaiting overnight for his passion. The next day we go from the Pool of Bethesday (within the old city of Jerusalem to the Praetorium where Jesus was condemned to die, beginning the Way of the Cross. This is the second photo to the right. Finally, our via dolorosa ends with Mass alongside the tomb of Jesus, beneath the great dome of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, celebrating resurrection.
From there we head into the Judean Desert – where we will visit Qumran, Masada and the Dead Sea. The desert continues as we cross the Jordan River into Jordan where we will travel through the desert to the land of the Moabites and the Naboteans, to Petra, the great deserts of the south near the Gulf of Aquaba and Sinai, the lands where Moses and Aaron led the people of Israel from Egypt to Madaba and Mount Nebo, where Moses saw the promised land but could not enter before his death.
Needless to say, we remember you in our prayers everywhere we go, and wish that all could join us on this adventure. I’ll send more from the road next week.
God bless you.
- This week we celebrated Catholic Schools Week and we thank God for the gift of our National Blue Ribbon School – Holy Cross Academy, our Sisters and Faculty and the gift of all our Religious Education Catechists who dedicate so much to the formation of our children.
- If you want to learn more about our school, or just want to visit, please come to the Open House this Sunday, February 2 – 9:30am to 12noon in the Parish Life Center for Preschool, and 1 – 3pm at Holy Cross Academy. All are welcome!
- Join us for our monthly Parish Family Dinner on Saturday, February 8 from 6-8:30pm in the Parish Life Center. See more information on page 9.
- Our next Concert Series Event features Ephrem Brass Quintet performing a free concert with organist David Mathers. Friday, February 21 at 8pm.
- SCRIP is on sale in the Parish Life Center after all Masses except Saturday 7pm and Sunday 2pm. Please use SCRIP, and a percentage of what you spend will be applied to our school.
- Sunday Coffee Shop is open this weekend after the 7, 8:30 and 10am Masses.